Monday, July 13, 2009

..i proudly present..

..the 2009 utah state amateur champion -- ZAC BLAIR!!!!yes ladies and gentlemen, my 18-year-old little bro won the biggest golf tournament the state of utah offers for amateur golfers. for those of you out there who aren't familiar with golf, let me just tell you, this is a BIG deal. hundreds of golfers from all around the state shed blood, sweat and tears trying to qualify for this tournament, let alone actually claiming the prestigious title. it is every amateur golfers goal and dream...and it came true for zac!!! i seriously feel like a proud parent, i am SO happy for him! the past 3 years he has played in the tourny, but never made it to the championship round. this year he had to play some AMAZING golf to get there...and he did. the golfers who compete in this tournament are pretty dang good, so you have to be pretty dang good to beat them. in the semi-finals, zac was down 4 after nine, and shot an incredible 30 on the back nine to beat his opponent. in the finals, the two golfers were both 18 years old, the youngest duo ever to compete for the championship. they play 36 holes of match-play, and the one who wins the most holes is crowned the champ! zac made some big time clutch puts and basically he just played great golf all day...he deserved that trophy!

my dad wasn't here to watch (he went out of town on purpose, bc zac never plays as well when my dad is watching!), which was kind of a bummer, especially during the presentation of the trophy, because 36 years ago my dad won this very same tournament, and under similar circumstances too: he was 18 years old and an incoming freshman at byu...just like my brother! they are the second father/son to have their names on the trophy.
..1973 - james blair..
..interviewing with the press....me & my mom with the new champ....some of his friends....me, zac, & lance..
well anyway, a BIG congrats to my brother! it takes a lot of hard work to win this thing, but it sure does pay off!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your brother!!!

Heidi said...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705316537/Like-father-like-son-Zac-Blair-follows-in-dads-footsteps-with-State-Am-win.html

The article about his is fabulous - I hope you got to see it! Everyone should read it - we love you both!

Ben and Jen Clark said...

That is SO awesome!!! What an accomplishment. That's really cool that your Dad and your Brother have both been the champions! BYU is lucky to have him.

brooke said...

that's awesome! i remember watching highlights from that on the news and didn't even realize it was your brother... so cool!

Kristin and Dan said...

WOW that is so cool!! That is really funny that your dad had to go out of town, but hey I guess it paid off with how well he played - haha! That is sad that he couldn't be there to see any of it... Maybe he could have just hid in the bushes the whole time??? Ha jk... Congrats to your brother!!!

Stef said...

Hey Beckster...Wow impressive. So I was watching the news and totally saw him and thought, what a cute kid, then I was like hmmm that name sounds familiar! Ha ha I never put it together. I'm an idiot. Way to go little Blair Man!!!!

p.s. We really need to get together soon. Shell and I miss you so much!!!

Bree Manning said...

I'm so happy for Zac!! Thats awesome! I miss that kid. I love looking at your cute blog!! You and Lance are so cute!